Saturday, March 9, 2013

Spooner Advocate Column- March 7,2013

What beautiful weather we have been having. I hear that the snowmobile trails are still in pretty good shape. There were a lot of people up using them this weekend again! We are supposed to get some more snow this evening and into tomorrow – all I can say is that I am glad we are on the back end of winter.  
If you are like me and are looking forward to spring and are into birds, I found an article in the Star Tribune. The article said that birds make a new nest every year! There has to be those birds that take over a nest from last year, right? I know we will be cleaning out our nest boxes, making any repairs. I also have started collecting the feathers, yarn, and of course hair that we put out for the birds in the spring – we put them in onion bags so that the birds can pull them out easily. 
If you would like to do some birding from your computer check out the Library of Natural Sounds, Cornell Labratory of Ornithology, at www.birds.cornell.edu. If you would like to hear some birds, call 612.573.5608: American Goldfinch, 612.573.5614: Blue Jay, 612.573.5609 House Finch, 612.573.5708 red-headed woodpecker, to repeat the recording press 9. 
The New Ventures Gardening Seminar is coming up on March 16. Registration begins at 8:45 a.m. at Northwood  School in Minong. I went last year, and it was wonderful! I really learned a lot. They are having sessions on roses, plant diseases, plant hardiness, and shrubs. Two of the speakers have plants on the market or were involved with the breeding programs at the Minnesota Arboretum. You can get more info by emailing Julie Hustvet, gardenseminar@charter.net; calling Micki Brisky, 715.466.4692, extension 523; or visiting www.northwood.k12.wi.us. The cost is still $14 for all day, including lunch and snacks. Vendors are welcome, too.
A big thank you goes out to my neighbor Kathy for helping me get into the college this week. My car decided at the corner of Hwys. 27 and 70 that I no longer needed brakes! So much fun! Thanks for all Chet’s hard work on the vehicle, I do have the car back. Now I just need to start looking for a replacement, not fun!
Town of Springbrook will hold its meetings and elections at the VFW meeting room in Springbrook until further notice. The next election is April 2. The polls are open from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m. Questions, please call Kathy Helm, 715.766.2155.
Happy birthday to all those March birthdays out there! Hope you have a beautiful birthday. You are special, and we love you! 
Daffodil Days are right around the corner, March 11-15. If you know someone who is fighting cancer, why not surprise them with a bunch of flowers? You can call the American Cancer Society, 800.ACS.2345, to find out where they will be selling bunches of daffodils. 
Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College has its new Extension Programming Calendar out. March 9, Ice Fishing Event on Grindstone, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; March 11, Intro to Moviemaking, 1-4 p.m.; March 12 Environmental Film Fest-12-2, Belly dancing 5-6 pm; March 13 All about seeds-12-1 or 5-7 pm, March 14th Beginning Farmer 11-1,1st aid/CPR 4-8 pm. To register for any of these classes please contact Amber Marlow, 715.634.4790, extension 156, or marlowa@lco.ed.
Things to put on your calendar ...
Minnesota Quilters 35th annual Quilt Show and Conference. This year it is in Duluth, Minn., on June 13-15. Classes begin June 12. You can get more information off their website, www.mnquilt.org/mq2013. Good luck to all those quilters who put their beautiful creations in quilt shows, I hope you win some ribbons! I know I am always inspired by each creation that I see when I go to the shows. We really have some talented people out there.    
The 2013 Hayward Quilt Show is July 26-27 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Flat Creek Inn in Hayward. If you have questions or donations please contact haywardpiecemakers@hotmail.com
I just wanted to ask all those in the area to let me know what is going on. There must be something going on at the churches, quilting groups, 4-H or something. Give me a call and let me know. I appreciate all of you reading the column weekly. Until next week, do something unexpected for someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment