Monday, June 24, 2013

Spooner Advocate Column- June 20, 2013

Hello there neighbor- I hope all the dads out there had a wonderful day yesterday! We had nice weather so maybe some people were out fishing or working in the garden. Speaking of fishing, anybody out there have some extra fishing poles sitting around? I would really like to teach my daughter how to fish and actually learn again myself.... I haven't fished since my grandmother and I dug a can full of worms and had cane poles! Years have gone by, but I have some fond memories of that time. I thank you in advance for any fishing tips- I am feeling pretty clueless.....but I did get the book from the DNR so I will start reading that. Can't believe that it is almost the end of June! Where has the summer gone? I sure hope everyone is having fun while they are in our great state of WI. We welcome all of you out of towners back to the cabins. To all the new folks out there thanks for coming to WI, we hope you like your stay! Happy Birthday to all those of you that have June birthdays. I hope you enjoy the sun and all the beautiful flowers, the flowering trees. Have a beautiful day and we love you! I have had some interest from people wanting some perennials. I know most plants like to be split in the fall but maybe there are some extras out there from spring splitting. If anyone has some to share please let me know so I can hook you up with those looking for plants. Thank you! The Spooner Memorial Library has their Summer Reading Program up- sounds like they are off to a really good start with all the folks that they have signed up! They offer an Adult reading program, a Teen-Ager as well as a preschool-12 year old reading program. Mikhaila and I participated in the one last year and it was just a great reason to read a book.... like I need a reason! LOL Anyway the ladies at the library need you to sign-up you and your kids, there are great prizes to win as well! You can get ahold of them at www.spooner.wislib.org, on FaceBook at Spooner Memorial Library or 715-635-2792. The Sherman & Ruth Weiss Community Library have started their summer reading program. You can sign your Pre-K-4th graders up at the library. Its a great way to get kids to spend time reading! Reading can take you on an adventure as a cowboy, or be the first woman to fly a plane- it all can happen while reading a book! For more information please check out the website www.weisscommunitylibrary.com or give them a call at 715-634-2161. Go find a tree to sit under while reading a book.....let your imagination take you on a great adventure! LCO Community College has there class schedule up.... June 21- Farmer's Market at the LCO IGA parking Lot from 9-2 pm, June 26- Grill It! With Chef Al at the LCO Farm from 5-7 pm, June 27- Organic Weed Control at the LCO Farm from 5-7:30 pm, June 28- Farmer's Markett at the LCO IGA parking lot from 9-2 pm, June 28- Birch Bark Basket Making-LCO Farm from 5-7:30 pm, June 29- Hoophouse Building Workshop at the LCO Farm from 9-5 pm. All workshops are free and open to the community! Please call Amber Marlow at 715-634-4790 ext 156 to register for any of the classes, you can also reach her at marlowa@lco.edu. We would like to invite anyone interested in participating in the Farmer's Market to give Amber a call 715-634-4790 to register. The Farmer's Market is open from 9-2 pm, every Friday at the LCO IGA parking lot on Highway K. There is no charge to sell your produce/ products. We sure would love to see some new people at the Farmer's Market! Things to put on your calendar ... Wisconsin Farm Tech Days July 9-11, 2013. Held at Breezy Hill Dairy, 147 16th Street, Dallas, WI. They will be open 9-5 pm daily, further information www.barronfarmtech.com . The 2013 Hayward Quilt Show is July 26-27 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Flat Creek Inn in Hayward. If you have questions or donations please contact haywardpiecemakers@hotmail.com. Send me a text twogirlsandagarden@hotmail.com, or send me your info at P.O. Box 172, Stone Lake, WI 54876-0172 and let me know what is going on out there. I appreciate all of you reading the column. Have a great week and keep on smiling! Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment