Thursday, May 17, 2012

Spooner Advocate Column- May 17, 2012

Good Morning-
I hope everyone had a great weekend. Did you get out in the garden and plant something? Maybe you have your garden already in. Whatever you had planned the weather sure was awesome for it!


I received some wonderful gifts from a friend on Sunday- raspberries and strawberries! It was fun to go see Sue and her husband Gaylin and we always have a great visit and we love see her animals. It was nice to just be able to be outside, visit and soak up the sun. Her raspberries and strawberries are very healthy looking plants! Now I just have to figure out where to plant them and put up some fencing- otherwise the goats, geese and chickens will take them out!


Hunt Hill had a great turn out for their Praire Fling on Saturday( 5-12). It was our first time being out there, what a fun day! They had all kinds of things to do, food to buy, dancers, community tables, nature education. We hiked in and visited all the tables and listen to some great speakers on various topics. W had to eat there of course- Louie's Fine Meats out of Cumberland was the supplier of the brauts and dogs- YUM is all I can say!I would highly suggest getting your kids or grandkids involved with nature- there are so many opportunities in our area! Hunt Hill  has a bunch of programs for the coming months- check out their website www.hunthill.org and see what you can get plugged into.


We have been making dandelion jelly here. The flowers go for the jelly, the stems to the rabbits and pigs and the leaves have gone into a very tasty salad. I think my daughter had had a salad everyday since we started picking! She loves her wild dandelion salads or spinach salads!  I had to pick up some staples so while down in Barron I went to th Country Lane Market and Pantry- you can buy staples like flour and sugar- they have a TON of spices! I picked up my pectin, yeast, flax seed, some pumpkin seeds and various spices and some other odds and ends. I have alot of friends that shop there and go to the farmers market which is also held there. You can check out there website- www.countrylanemarket.com and sign up for notifications on what fresh fruits that they are offering. I know I have to put some cherries up this year as I am all out and cherries are wonderful on a cold winter morning! If you know of another bulk store that I should check out please let me know. If you want to go to the Farmers Market, it will be starting up June 21st, Thursdays between  2-8 pm and they have between 60-80 vendors! Any questions- 715-637-5367  Well I have to  go eat my dandelion salad I hope you are eating fresh food from your lawn too!

No comments:

Post a Comment