Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Spooner Advocate Column May 21, 2012

Hello there neighbors.Have you enjoyed all the rain that we have been having? Things sure have greened up around the area. However, with all the burning bans that are still on, please be careful. Just because the trees or grass look green does not mean there are not brush piles, or dead foliage underneath them. Fires move fast and furious once lite so lets error on the side of caution.


Farmers Markets will be starting soon. The one close by that I have info on is Stone Lake, they start May 24th from 2-6 pm. I guess the market is setup between Lakes Co-op and the railroad tracks. Any questions give Pam a call 715-865-5082. If anyone has a contact or info on the Farmers Market in I believe its Earl please let me know. It would be nice to have some other options. Remember to support the Farmers Markets, get to know where your food comes from, how it s grown. While you are there say thanks to the Farmers, Producers, Bakers- whatever they call themselves they are important folks to our community as well to the state of Wisconsin!


Are you a rose person? Some people are rose people-they know 'em, grow 'em, mulch 'em, baby 'em. We all know the people that have gorgeous roses and we wonder how they do it! Then there are some of us who want to grow roses, think they are beautiful but are not going to remember the scientific name or when they first showed up in someones garden! I love wild roses, to me they are a wonderful hardy plant that are usually out of control, growing like a weed, with a ton of flowers! I love climbing roses- I would build a ton of trellis all over the yard just to b able to sit under the climbing roses! I came across The Antique Rose Emporium and thought it was interesting and thought I would share their website with you- www.antiqueroseemporium.com. They have a great story, also looks like they sell you an antique rose f that is what you are shoppin' for! Another site that has some educational videos for pruning your trees or roses would be www.petalsfromthepast.com. I have looked at both of these sites to see what is out there, maybe you know some better sources. I would love to hear about them if you do. I would like to make rose-hip jelly at some point in my life, that means I need roses. If you are a professional rose grower that would like to pass on your knowledge please let me know.

Sheep and Fiber Day is right around the corner. May 27, 1:00-4:00 pm, Adults 5.00 and children free. Location; The Tetzlaff Farm 2072- 23rd Street, Rice Lake,Wi. They will be having demos on shearing, spinning, weaving, wool preparation, felting, knitting. Project stations on felting, knitting, weaving, drop spindle spinning. There will be handcrafted items for sale, I have seen some of the ladies stuff and I absolutely love the felted crocks someone made! It sounds like a great family day, who wouldn't love to go to see animals on a 129 year old working farm! Questions- Deb- 715-234-3595 or Gina-715-434-4715.

I drove by the store in Springbrook. It is looking beautiful! They are really doing a nice job on it! Not sure when they are opening for business but I look forward to doing business there.


Until next time have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. Be safe, enjoy the time spent with friends and family, opening up the cabin, or planting the garden- whatever you do on this weekend. If anyone goes out to Fort Snelling say hi to my dad Richard T. Lampert, I miss him. Thank you to all the men and woman that have served this country- you are the best! There are not words that can express the gratitude I feel for you and your families, what you have sacrificed. Thank you for what I take for granted at times - my freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment