Thursday, January 30, 2014

Spooner Advocate- Springbrook Column, January 30, 2014

Good afternoon neighbors- I am praying that all of you out there are staying warm. I know that everyone has heard by now of the propane issues and alot of people are in dire straits with their houses needing to be heated and the lack of money. I just want you to know that you are not alone. We are all feeling the crunch and there does not seem to be an end in sight with the weather being so bad. Please lower your heat when you can, dress in layers, block of rooms that your not using. If you have drafty windows put towels on the window sills, plastic on them if you can, also heavy curtains help alot. Also a quilt or blanket hung above the door on a rod can keep drafts out of the house as well. Remember to check on elderly, handicapped, or just someone you know doesn't go out of the house to often. Stay as warm as you can and please don't go out unless you have to....

Earl Church in Earl, WI would like everyone know that you are invited to the Third Annual Triple Treat Saturday. It will be held on February 8th, 2014 from 11:00-2:00 pm at the church. Homemade soup and rolls- all you can eat for $4.00 (until gone). Pies will be for sale (until gone), flea market, silent auction and more! All I can say is that Mikhaila and I went last year and got soup by the skin of our teeth! We also got one of the last pies that were there! I have to say that I know the pie was awesome only because I did not even get a piece! So come support this great event and all I can say is get there early, and get two pies that way you are sure to get some! Thanks Sherrine for letting me know the details.

I have started some seeds in the house! They are up! The seeds are up! Can I just say how happy I am to see something that is green and growing! Has anyone else out there started anything yet? I am going to take some seeds as well as chive plants and calendula plants to the Pow-Wow in February. So I hope they grow fast! I also started some rhubarb, this should get me through January! LOL My next project is to build some shelves to start more plants on, this year I will be starting ALL the plants for the gardens on the reservations here at my house! It seems alittle scary I have to say! But I will be able to pay closer attention to the plants if they are here instead of being at the College. So wish me luck... guess this means I need to invest in some grow lights too huh?

LCOOCC has their calendar of events out so here are the classes we are offering this month.  Jan 30 a- Homemade bread making from 5-8pm, held in the College kitchen from 5-8pm. The February Calendar will be out soon but there is always time to tell us what kind of class you are interested in taking. Give Amber a call with your class registration or with an idea for a class, 715-634-4790 X126. 

Happy Birthday to all the January birthdays out there! Hope the couple warmer days here in NW Wisconsin make your birthday extra special and bright!  Have a beautiful birthday spent with friends and family, doing something that makes YOU happy! We love you!

Is anyone else out there into barns? Whenever I take a road trip or even am going around our beautiful state I am looking for barns. There all kinds of barns, some are still standing and housing animals. Some need some TLC and would love to be given a couple animals to shelter. I dream of having the cool old barns with a big room to put hay in, stalls to put pregnant ewes in. Chickens running around hiding eggs and then coming out with chicks when they hatch. I also want to hang the quilt square painted on a piece of wood on the outside of my barn. I am just an old barn type of girl. So I came across some "barn people" in my travels and thought I would share them with you. The Kansas Barn Alliance- www.kansasbarnalliance.org and National Barn Alliance- www.barnalliance.org and Kansas State Historical Society -www.kshs.org. I am still going to look and see if WI has a chapter and see what is going on to preserve our barns. If you have any info and would like to share a ppicture of your barn let me know! 

Does anyone out there read the Country Today? I love to get this paper, I need to get a subscription instead of driving to Shell Lake to get it. Anyway there was a great article in the last paper dated Jan 20th about a Bed and Breakfast in Washington County. Sounds like it would be a great place to go and stay, I love that they keep animals on the farm, a wonderful greenhouse that I really need in my backyard, and a vineyard with the wine named after the animals! Seems like they have alot to offer... For more information on this you can checkout their website www.coldspringinn.com . Remember the Country Today also carries the LCO College calendar in their paper- just in case you miss it in the column.

Have a friend or family member that would be interested in the column? Maybe they live out of town? They can access the column on my blog on Thursdays, at www.twogirlsandagarden.blogspot.com .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment